- Published: Friday, 30 October 2009 22:51
0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false
George Souter was born in Sydney on 17th September 1921. He was educated in parochial schools at Drummoyne and Burwood before completing his education with the Vincentians at St Stanislaus College Bathurst. He came to know of the MSC through Dr Rumble’s “Radio Replies” program and entered Douglas Park in 1941.
George made his first profession on 5th August 1942 and remained for a few years in the Douglas Park community before being appointed one of the foundation members of the new “Chevalier College” at Bowral in 1946. Boys from that era still remember George’s care and interest with affection as was evident in some of the tributes after his death. In his quiet way he served the boys and their needs. In 1952 he was appointed to the staff of the “Annals” at Kensington. During that time he used to ride around Sydney on a motorcycle with side-car delivering the Annals. In 1954 he joined the community at the Croydon Scholasticate. Next came appointment to “Downlands College” in 1960, followed by a time in the tailor’s shop at Douglas Park (1963-4), then “Daramalan College” for some ten years beginning in 1965. In 1976 George undertook teacher training at De la Salle “Oakhill”, followed by a year at “St John’s College” Darwin in 1977. He was back at Kensington for a year in 1978 working in the Library before moving to the old Canberra Monastery to work in the archives in 1979. He moved to Kensington in 1982 and remained there for the rest of his life until his move to St Joseph’s Nursing Home last year. George had a great love of music and classical culture and art; at Kensington he developed his long time interest in photography, becoming the semi-official photographer of the Province; he used to develop the films himself. George had a special sense of compassion for and sympathetic understanding of people who were emotionally disturbed and helped many through his involvement in GROW, the mental health recovery program. He died unexpectedly in the evening of 3rd September 2009. His funeral liturgy was held in the Monastery Chapel at Kensington and he is buried in the community cemetery at Douglas Park.