- Published: Tuesday, 23 April 2013 16:34
MSC stands for Missionaries of the Sacred Heart
The initials M.S.C. come from the Latin, Missionarii Sacratissimi Cordis, (Missionnaires du Sacre Coeur in French), the name of our Religious Congregation founded by Fr. Jules Chevalier at Issoudun, France in 1854.
The Australian Province has around 140 members and our ministries include:
parishes, retreat centres, education working with urban and traditional aborigines, working in the Media, chaplains to the prisons, universities, hospitals, health care in ministry to people living with HIV+/AIDS, tradesmen and in many other areas.
We MSC are part of the wider Chevalier Family that shares the same spirituality.
Our Chevalier Family includes our sister congregations, the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart and the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart, and lay members and associates of our congregations, the Lay MSC.
For further information regarding the other members of our Chevalier Family follow these links;
In 1874, in collaboration with Mother Marie Louise Hartzer, Jules Chevalier also founded the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (FDNSC) as the sister congregation of the MSC.
In 1900 the French FDNSC were not permitted to enter Germany, so Fr. Hubert Linckens MSC founded the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart (MSC Sisters) in the spirit of Fr. Chevalier.
Lay Members of the Chevalier family
From the very beginning, Fr Chevalier had the vision that the fullness of mission would only be realised in a global project that included laity alongside religious men and women and diocesan clergy. Today, throughout the world, there is a growing network of laity associated with the charism and mission inspired by Fr Chevalier.